When I took a test to see if I was pregnant I had my suspicions. We had to use fertility treatments so there is always that doubt. But there were a few clues that I was getting the answer we were waiting on.
My suspicion started one night while I was watching How to Train a Dragon 2 (by myself I might add). One of the small dragons threw up, which lead me to throw up. Anyone who knows me knows that I would rather feel crumby all day then to throw up and I threw up over a cartoon throwing up. So we tested the next day and we were pregnant with #2! We were so excited especially me because my first pregnancy was AMAZING! I had some food aversion but no sickness, not really any pains and basically a simple pregnancy and delivery.
Lesson 1 as a second time mom, no two pregnancies are the same apparently. I have been sick almost everyday for 11 weeks. I have gone through some terrible days and on top of being sick I still have my son who needs me each day at home.
So how have I survived up to this point? Lots of trial and error!!! Here is the list of foods, drinks and tricks that have helped me get to week 11 somewhat in tact.
So mama if you are feeling crumby try these simply tricks.
Whether you have some nausea or you are sick everyday like me you need to be prepared for feeling your worst! Especially, if you have a little one(s) at home counting on you.
Items that I keep near are plastic grocery bags, mints, napkins and a small snack. At home I have a little area in almost all the rooms just in case I feel sick. I keep mints under my bathroom sink, in the kitchen and in my bedside table.
When I am on the go I keep mints, plastic bags and a snack in my car and in my diaper bag. This way I am never in a place where I’m unprepared. Morning sickness doesn’t care if you on the highway or in the middle of the grocery store it’s better to be prepared then not.
Finding foods to eat
There have been days where I can’t keep anything down at all! And for the first 9 weeks I couldn’t stand the taste of water (which I am normally drink all day). So, it took so trial and error to find foods and drinks that helped me get the nutrients and energy I needed.
These are some foods that helped me through the days where everything looked gross or made me want to run to the bathroom.
- Popsicles: I found this awesome brand called Outshine they have real fruit and no sugar added. I would eat these to get some calories and to stay hydrated. While trying to find food to eat I read that popsicles are better than saltines because they have more nutrients. I assume there is some truth to that but either way I felt better eating frozen fruit that bland crackers.
- Chickenbroth: On bad days it’s important to keep your sodium replenished. Broth was easy to get down, it had flavor and I was getting some liquid in my system as well. You can buy broth already made. I opted to use bullion cubes this way I could control the taste and amount of sodium I was getting.
- Bananas: Some days I couldn’t eat these but on days I could I tried to eat at least one. They are packed full of nutrients and are bland enough to look appetizing.
- Triscuits: These crackers come in so many flavors but they are also 100% whole grain wheat made with simple ingredients. When I needed a snack with a crunch and some saltiness there were my go to.
Also, because water was a no go for a while I had to look for other ways to stay hydrated. I found a few options that helped until I could keep water down (which thank God I can now)
- Spindriftsparklingwater: These waters are made with real fruits. They have a few different flavors and the fact that they are carbonated helped settle my stomach on those really rough days. My favorite flavor was blackberry. Yum!
- Ginger ale: This is one you have probably heard before but if you are a fan of ginger ale it really does help with the nausea. This is by far my favorite one.
- I did get to the point where I didn’t want ginger ale so I searched for other ginger flavored drinks. Which lead me to find some awesome ginger teas.
- Ginger Teas: I am lucky enough to have an awesome coffee shop in my town that is a small business with the best teas. So here I found a ginger peach tea that has been a life saver on days where I need a little caffeine and something to settle my morning sickness. If you are every in Cincinnati definitely check out Coffee Emporium! But if you are too far to come to Cincinnati you can always check out your own local tea shop or grocery store there are so many ginger options that are awesome.
This may seem like a contradiction but I mean it, move as much as you can. Of course there are days where I am too weak to get up and workout or do anything. But on the days where you have even a little energy get up and move your body.
I have been doing these awesome 20 minute workouts from Michelle Marie Fit Pregnancy Program.
The days where I can move even a little I tend to feel a better afterwards. When you are laying on the couch because you don’t feel well it can take a toll on your body, which is already going through so much. It’s better to move those muscles when you have the energy trust me.
I aim to get my workout in four times a week and with Fit Mom To Be’s AWESOME workouts I can break a sweat in as little as 15 mins. If you want to check out these workouts she has a great 14 Day Free Trial workout program you can try!!
—–>>> 14 Day Free Trial
Heading into the second Trimester
As week 12 is quickly approaching I can only hope and pray that the nausea will ease up soon. If you are going through morning sickness and nausea too, I feel for you and I hope these tips help give you some relief.
What has worked for you when it comes to having morning sickness? I would love to hear about it in the comments.
Lots of Love,